We are currently at full capacity with our volunteer workforce and no longer accepting new volunteers. Please try again next year!
Volunteer Requirements and Time Commitments
Volunteer shifts are approximately 3 hours in length with a little extra required at the beginning of some shifts to help the transition between arriving and departing volunteers. If you commit to volunteering, you will need to commit to at least one 3-hour block but you are welcome to volunteer for more. Additionally, some volunteer jobs may require time commitments for training which will be held prior to Maker Faire NC.
We require volunteers to be at least 18 years old, and volunteers must provide their own transportation to and from Maker Faire NC and any necessary training sessions.
Volunteer roles are still in the process of being refined, but these are the roles that we currently expect that we will need:
- Setup/Tear-Down: Help Makers load-in and setup their booths on Friday and Saturday morning, assist with hanging banners, signs, flags, etc. Saturday Tear-Down volunteers are asked to assist Makers in the swift removal of their equipment, stacking chairs, folding up tables, removing banners, signs, flags, etc. This job has the potential to be physically demanding.
- Ticket Sales and Ticket Taking: Sell tickets, take tickets, help with pre-sold check-ins, stamp folks on the way out.
- Merchandise Sales: Sell maker-related merchandise and t-shirts
- Learn to Solder Instructor/Helper: Teach attendees who have bought a Blinky Robot badge kit how to solder it together. This is a basic kit and one person on each shift has already taught this before so they can show you how to do it. Volunteers in this role should at least know how to solder.
- E-Textile Instructor: New this year! Teach attendees to sew an e-textile kit provided by SparkFun. These instructors will learn how to construct and teach the kits the day before Maker Faire NC by a master instructor from SparkFun.
- Chaos Machine Wrangler: During setup periods assist Craig Trader with assembling a world-class Chaos Machine for the kids and adults to tinker with during the Faire. During the Faire, we need assistance in keeping the machine built and operational. After the Faire, we’ll need help breaking down and packing up the complex machine.
- Check-in Desk: First point of contact for makers and volunteers. Assist makers in finding their table and provide badges. Briefly orient makers to layout and available services. Check-in and check-out volunteers and maintain the list of active volunteers.
- Maker Assistance/Gophers: Respond to odd jobs from staff such as re-stocking drinks, helping the exhibitors move things, standing in at exhibitor booths if they need a break, helping any of the other jobs as the need arises.
- Section Leaders: For volunteers who have volunteered in previous years, this role is an opportunity to make a deep contribution by providing leadership over a larger activity. Section leaders will be in charge of ticketing, maker support, and overall floor monitoring.
- Maker Faire NC 2014 T-Shirt
- Free entrance to the event
- New! Discount code for 50% off tickets you can use to buy up to 4 tickets for friends and family
- Free entrance to the invitation-only Volunteer party held after MFNC (date to be determined)
- Our unending gratitude
Interested in Volunteering?
Please reach out to us NEXT YEAR!